We were lucky enough to start our cupcake truck back in 2010, before the city of Boston changed regulations and allowed food trucks on the streets. Why would I say that’s lucky? Because we were able to take advantage of the one and only shared commercial kitchen space in the Boston area at that time–CropCircle Kitchen. While there are pros and cons to using a shared commercial kitchen space I do feel lucky that we’ve been able to bake there and meet other food entrepreneurs from all walks of life and all stages of business. There’s great camaraderie among all of us “culinary entrepreneurs” as we are referred to at CCK–CE’s for short.
Back in the day when I didn’t know how powerful a 40 quart mixer turned up to high speed was–and let me tell you, very powerful when it comes to mixing light and easily airborne cocoa powder up and out of the bowl–the kitchen was relatively quiet. When I say quiet I mean maybe only 2-3 companies working in there at the same time. We learned to share space with Clover, Batch, Nella Pasta, Forklift Catering, Vienne Chocolate and so many more CEs all working hard to make food that in turn made people happy by feeding them–whatever the occasion or product. We’d watch Valerie delicately making and packaging her chocolates, we’d see Lee and Rachel whipping out raviolis. We’d hear Susie and Veronica telling everyone to keep the freezer doors shut while they made batch after batch of ice cream. So, yeah, it did get hectic at times and you needed to elbow your way over to the stove top or claim oven use. But the nice part of working in that environment is that 90 percent of the time all the CEs worked together and would give you the oven space or that burner so you could do your stuff and get out of the kitchen. The other 10 percent we won’t talk about right now.
These days, having mastered the 40 quart mixer with no cocoa flying up into the air, my small team and I are able to efficiently mix batter, scoop, bake, and frost like no one’s business and we do it relatively stress-free. We’ve honed our skills and learned great lessons, not only about cake and frosting, but about communication and sharing as well. It’s like going through culinary/small business boot camp–we should all get honorary “I-Work(ed)-at-CCK” certificates!
This Week’s Frequently Asked Question
What’s your favorite flavor?
I’m always surprised when I’m asked this because we are all so different and that is the beauty of life. We have choices. For example, I like caramel, no, love caramel and I like salty sweet desserts, so my favorite will always be the salted caramel on chocolate. You may think salt in your cupcake is weird or not like chocolate, so for you I say, try one of our seasonals. For example, when local strawberries are in season–hands down–strawberry on vanilla becomes my favorite. Not only does it smell fantastic, it looks beautiful, and it just makes me feel good pureeing up all those locally picked strawberries–it’s a lovely and light dessert perfect for summer days and evenings.